an Unhealthy
obsession
So, Instagram my friends is super addicting! There is nothing like opening this little camera shaped app on my phone and seeing beautiful pictures of babies, delicious meals, sweet vacation snap shots, and the occasional selfie picture. Sounds not as interesting in words, but to the eye it is so appealing!
I read this blog post earlier this week and it spoke loudly to my inner soul, you should read it right now!! For real... read it! It will take 7 min of your life, but probably save you more minutes from wasting it checking social media....
Instagraming a Perfect Life
Favorite "nuggets" from this blog:
"The danger of the internet is that it’s very very easy to tell partial truths—to show the fabulous meal but not the mess to clean up afterward. To display the smiling couple-shot, but not the fight you had three days ago. "
"Facebook is always going to yield a prettier version of life than the one you’re living right now. That’s how it works....The Internet is partial truths—we get to decide what people see and what they don’t."
"Our envy buttons also get pushed because we rarely check Facebook when we’re having our own peak experiences. We check it when we’re bored and when we’re lonely, and it intensifies that boredom and loneliness."
"It makes sense, then, that anyone else’s fun or beauty or sparkle gets under our skin. It magnifies our own dissatisfaction with that moment."
"For many of us, walking away from the Internet isn’t an option. But using it to connect instead of compare is an option, and a life-changing one. Using technology to build community instead of building carefully-curated images of ourselves is an option, and a worthwhile one."
"...life isn’t about the story you tell about yourself on the Internet. It’s about a million more beautiful and complex things than that, like love and faith and really listening. It’s about using what you’ve been given to craft a life of gratitude and passion and grace."
Wow! Now that is truth! Now that is convicting! So, in reading this blog post on Monday from Relevant Magazine, it made me want to change my blogging. I want this blog to be filled with real life, not this partial truth I tray to display of myself. My friends, I do not have it all together! And I am beginning to see and face the truth.. I will NEVER have it all together! I will never be perfect! We have dishes in our sink for days on end, laundry piles fill our bedroom most days, dog hair will be on your black pants if you enter our home... all of this truth about my weakness and my inability to have it all together makes me run to the one person who is perfect... Jesus! I love the truth that Jesus says, "My power is made PERFECT in your WEAKNESS!" 2 Corinthians 12:9
I posted a link to this post on my blog.
ReplyDeletehttp://skyeyork.blogspot.com/2013/05/picture-updates.html
I loved this post Mary!